Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Who 'Dat Tigers?

So everyone pretty much figured CC for a rebuilding year this season. Then came mono, strep and injury. But alas none of those negative circumstances seemed to keep the Tigers down. They lost five players that accounted for 80 goals from last years team. In my preseason look at the WCHA I said "It'll be highly unlikely that they can repeat their 24-16-2 record"; shows how much I knew (I shoulda said "would seem" instead of "It'll be" huh?). The Tigers are close to a pace that will prove me wrong. Pretty impressive for a "rebuilding" year. So how could I be sooo wrong? I thought I'd do a little digging and analyzing to see if I could explain my ridiculously inaccurate prognostication.

I think my biggest mistake was to not have a clue who the hell Scott McCulloch was. How was I supposed to know that a guy who scored 4 and 5 goalies respectively in his first two years would bag 12 in the first 16 games? Other than that I've got no idea why they "seem to be" kicking ass and taking names. The same weekend that UAA was embarrassing themselves in Houghton, CC was getting throttled at the Mariucci. Since then CC is 7-1. They swept MTU then Mankato; split with UND and just swept DU. Prior to that run they started the season with a 3-4-1 record. So what explains this breakout of success?

Got me. Doesn't matter. They're on fire and the Seawolves are headed to their barn. Somebody better be watching some tapes and reading scouting reports. Their scoring is fairly well balanced with upperclassmen doing their job and freshman starting to contribute. Their power play is working. Their penalty kill is getting it done. Matt Zaba is playing consistently well. By all accounts they outskated DU. I didn't pay much attention honestly when CC played here in the Nye tournament. But I remember they skated well with a very quick UNO team. None of that is a big surprise as Scott Owens always prefers a game plan that features his teams skating abilities.

So they're at home, 7-1 through their last 8 games and they can skate like the wind. Whaddya do against all that? Play your ass off. Skate hard every second of every shift. Hit someone at every opportunity. Shoot the puck every chance with non-shooters going hard to the net. Show committment in your own end by blocking shots. Get a good game from your goaltender. Don't take stupid penalties. And finish your chances. If you manage to do all those things well then you've got a chance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's going to be a difficult win (if we win). Hopefully we finish the weekend well, and come away with atleast 2 points.

Anonymous said...

Solid analysis UAA Hockey Fan. Good luck to the Seawolves.

Anonymous said...

Well, they have their 2 points - here's hoping for 3 or 4!

Post a Comment