Monday, January 02, 2006

Seawolves vs. Fighting Sioux Preview

I said when I started this blog that I'd try to do some post-series analysis but, because I can't watch a game when I know the result all I have to go on regarding the two losses at Fairbanks is what I heard on the radio. The team got a few more penalties than they would have expected and they didn't capatilize on a single one of their own 17 power plays. Fairbanks did; and that was the difference. They can rub our faces in it for another year. I hope every player on UAA's team left that city with a bad taste in their mouth. I hope they remember that taste until they play UAF again.

Meanwhile there is a series this coming weekend to focus on. A good opponent is coming to The Sully and they need some WCHA points. They think UAA is easy meat. They won't say it. But they are thinking it. This is an important series for UND as they currently sit in 6th place with 12pts only one point behind Duluth who has played 2 more games. If the Sioux leave Anchorage with a split then they'll be in 5th by themselves.

Four Sioux players (Oshie, Lee, Toews, and Chorney) are currently busy representing the USA in the World Jr. Tournament in Vancouver. They should all be in Anchorage by game time and Coach Hakstol has said he'd make the determination at that time whether they'll play or not. Oshie and Toews have been real scoring threats so I'd expect that as long they aren't too tired that they'll be in the lineup both nights. Drew Stafford has 14g so far this season. Oshie is right behind him with 11. Toews has 7. The Sioux have been scoring 3.75 goals per game in the WCHA.

What can UAA do to have success this weekend? Lets just say it would be useful to score first. UND is 2-7 overall when their opponent scores first; they're 11-1-1 when they score first. UAA is .500 when they score first. That is an opportunity. UAA needs to focus on that and not get frustrated if they put pressure on and don't get a goal. I've seen their shoulders drop all too often after putting out 110% only to see the other team get the goal first. Score first guys. Confidence and attitude are a huge part of the D-1 game. UAA doesn't have to catch the Sioux sleeping to win a game. But they do have to play a solid defensive game with fewer penalties than last weekend.

In the second half of the season it is important to know where you are in the standings. I hope UAA players have looked. If they have then they'll notice that if they get their first home sweep of the year that they'll have 11pts. I know ... I know ... by saying that I'm saying that UAA can sweep UND this weekend. Of course they can. Will they? I guess that's why they play the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment