Sunday, January 03, 2010

Sunday Potpourri: New Year, Same Old Me

Time to take a deep breath and get ready.  The 2nd half of the season is finally upon us.  The Seawolves last game was around two-million four-hundred-ninety-eight thousand and four-hundred seconds ago.  Ok ... forty-one thousand six-hundred and forty minutes ago.  Still too big?  Six hundred and ninety four hours ago?  All right then ... almost a month; except if the month was February.  You're getting the drift I'm sure.

That's about a week longer than the longest breaks for most other teams.  It's a couple of weeks more than the breaks for a whole lotta teams.  Since the Seawolves last played, their next opponent has played 4 games.  Yesterday's alumni game was the one chance to shake off any holiday rink rust for the Seawolves.  I was glad for the break I took from writing the blog as frequently as I usually do.  But honestly, I've got a little bit of rust on me too.  So to set a good example, I'll put together a helluva good set of previews this week prior to the series.  Okays?

_________________________


Most years I don't watch a bunch of the World Juniors tourney.  It's usually not that compelling I guess.  But for whatever reason (maybe because I had the time from not writing here), I've caught a number of the games this time around.  They're easily available on various streaming sites so I've plonked my butt down right here and watched.

If you didn't see it, the Canada v. U.S. game a couple of days ago was tremendous.  There was a lot of hype and frankly a lot of Canadians figured they're squad would walk over the U.S.  I didn't really know if that would be the case or not but I was (I suppose) leaning a bit toward believing that.  But it sure didn't turn out that way.  The U.S. team really took it to the Canucks, out-skating them for most of the game.  It was really a "will can beat skill" sort of game until the last 5 or 6 minutes. 

Then Dean Blais kept throwing the same two lines out until they had no legs and the American's were toast.  I saw lots of people on the internet throwing around various reasons for the U.S. loss ... let's be clear here ... it was actually a tie game and the U.S. lost the shootout, but they were ahead 4-2 until late in game. It was one of those games where a loss really feels like a tie; in any case, I saw nobody blaming Dean Blais for overplaying his top lines.  Man, everyone thinks that cat is some sort of genius coach?  He's a genius recruiter (cough cough liar) no doubt.  But I'm not impressed with that coaching effort.  No wonder he couldn't hack it in the NHL.

Not that I care that much.  There's definitely a couple of future prima-donnas on the U.S. team that I don't like anyway.  But still, it was a pretty entertaining hockey game.  The U.S. versus Sweden semi-final is on in a few minutes.  So I'll be giving that a look hoping that the U.S. can manage to get a rematch with those darn Canucks (who btw ... also have a couple of prima-donnas).


_________________________


It's Sunday.  So that means everything here isn't hockey.  There are indeed more important things than hockey.  Here's one of them.  Don't like it?  Then skip to the next section.

I love documentaries.  But there are good ones, bad ones and completely whacked ones available on the internet.  This is one of the good ones.  Straightforward information here provided without hyperbole.  Take the hour and a half and watch it.  You'll learn a couple of things that you won't in a history book or on the TV news.



I lost a long term friendship over the inability of a friend to even try to understand one of the main points of this film.  You may watch this and disagree with my viewpoints and that's fine as long as you've used some tiny measure of open-mindedness while watching it.  Just watch it and decide for yourself.  Or not I guess.

_________________________


Well that's it for today.  Happy New Year to everyone (forgot to say that yesterday).  I'll have the first DU preview on Tuesday at the latest and will follow that up with other stuff.  I expect both games to be on the tube this weekend.  I'll be hosting chat's both nights.

8 comments:

Suze said...

The next GCI webcast that is scheduled is the home CC game. So maybe B2?

Donald Dunlop said...

FSN Rocky Mountain has both of these games on their schedule. Direct TV Channel 683 and Dish Network Channel 414.

So my assumption is that GCI will be picking up those feeds. If not then I'd "bet" that they'll be on one of the Fox Sports Channels on GCI ... 301, 302 here in Anchorage.

If not ... (and hopefully they will be), then DU uses Pioneer Vision and not B2. The Pioneer Vision is the thing where you have to buy a month's worth and if I remember right it's like 15 bucks.

Anonymous said...

The last time I bought Pioneer Vision I had to pay for a month, but if you don't cancel it (and it's not easy to do so), they keep charging your credit card on subsequent months. I will never buy it again.

-30- said...

The US-Canada New Year's game was fun, and my wife and I took our lives in our hands by cheering for the US in a Canuck bar. Suicide. I thought my team, Team Canada, deserved to lose. (How many odd-man rushes can you give up and expect to win?) And a loss would have been good for us. However I'll be cheering for the boys with the maple leaf tonight despite the fact many WCHA players are suited up for the red, white, and blue. I just don't think the US matches up on the O side. Should be a hell of a game. Good luck--it would be something for the US to win in Saskabush, the heartland of Canadian hockey.

Anonymous said...

Is the game on cable TV or the internet? Links please.

Donald Dunlop said...

For Canada v. US
If your TV provider has the "NHL Network" the game should be on there. In Canada it will be on TSN.

If you don't have access to either of those then save THIS LINK and click it at game time.

You can also find it at Justin.tv fairly easily.

Anonymous said...

The game is listed on the NHL Network for tomorrow (Jan 5) at 8 pm Eastern. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help DD.

Donald Dunlop said...

That is indeed the correct time.

Post a Comment