Sunday, October 04, 2009

Sunday Potpourri: Cultural Learnings ...

Today you get some of my "Best of the Internet". I'm not fooling myself that what I present here is any sort of ultimate best list. It's just the best stuff I know about.

The Best/Funniest YouTube Series:
The Retarded Policeman. He likes eggs. And he had a puppy named Adolph. He draws good too. Here's episode #1 to get you started. Take a half hour of your life and watch them all.


Watch them drunk. They're even funnier then. And don't even start with the feeling sorry for the guy. He's getting paid.

_______________


The Best Sports Pirate Streams:
Click on this link for pretty much any sport that you'd care to watch. Live. Sometimes, they're not the best quality. But watching something grainy live is better than highlights. I won't say that every NHL game is on there. But more are than aren't. I watched Curtis Glencross score a beauty backhand goal to put Calgary up 1-0 over the Oilers yesterday and then got to see the Khabibulin flub with under a minute lose the game for Edmonton. And you don't have to pay DirecTV or anyone else mega-dollars to watch. Listening to something in Portuguese could teach you something.



_______________


The Best Historical Drama Ever:
This series didn't start on the Internet, it came from HBO. But you can watch every episode on it in pretty high quality by clicking on this link. If you remember and enjoyed the old PBS series "I Claudius" then you'll love "Rome". The stories are told primarily from the perspective of two members of Rome's 13th Legion, Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo. Here's probably the grittiest scene from the series. It is entirely an adult drama ... "R" rated. It gives you a good idea though. Pullo is condemed to die for a murder he committed and is prepared for his death as Vorenus watches.


I found everything in this series so compelling that I've watched it 3 times over. And yes .. a scene with this much gore and violence is tough to watch. But the whole series is so much more than just that. If you don't want to watch it pirated and all ... then buy it. It's worth it. The producers deserve to get paid for making it ... I guess. Best TV eVAh! Thirteenth!!!

_______________

The Best Online Video Guide:
Where do I find all this stuff? Simple. It's called ovguide.com. If you can't find what you want to watch linked somewhere by OV Guide then you're not trying very hard. Pirate links abound so you can watch films that are still in the theater that some douchebag recorded with a handheld video camera in Moscow. If you want. I prefer to wait for some douchebag with the DVD that copied and upload it. Sometimes some douchebag with an advanced DVD copy will upload it while it's still in the theater; I watched Terminator 4 in HQ online when it was just being released in the theater. Hooray for douchebags?

_______________

Best Fake Movie Star Show:
Anyone watch Entourage on HBO? It's a show that follows a fictional movie star and his friends through his life and the guest spots are always actual Hollywood movie types. I'm addicted to it. I don't know why. When I think about it, Johnny Drama is pathetic, Turtle is a wuss, E is just painfully dumb and Vince is just dumb lucky. I guess I love Ari. If you've never seen it because you didn't want to pony up the bucks for HBO then you'd have to know I'd have a link for it online. TV Shack is "teh shit". I found it using OV Guide of course.



_______________


Stay tuned this week for lots of hockey coverage. Mighty Mercyhurst and Michigan are coming to town this weekend. I'll have previews of course. I'll probably bust the chops of both programs in some manner. Red Berenson is a bit of a tougher target than any WCHA coach though. So the quality of anything coming off my keyboard is difficult to predict.

Why is College Hockey News offline? The site has been completely down all day.

29 comments:

spoon said...

CHN was offline last night too.

Donald Dunlop said...

Adam Wodon told me during the summer that some changes were coming ... so maybe they're just busy making the place over?

Jimjamesak said...

No love for Red vs Blue. Nevermind you might be a little too old for that one.

Best Ari clip is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5uC3HXNm28 .

Donald Dunlop said...

JJ:
Actually, I PWND nade-spamming noobs quite often on Blood Gulch (specially with sniper setup) and I know all the good glitches on Danger Canyon. Don't even think I could be beaten on CTF Infinity either. I'm a capping mad fool ...

Unknown said...

Rome is a fantastic show. I own both seasons and wish to Caesar that they could have continued the series.

Anonymous said...

Kendall hockey tournament is this week, glad to see you are writing articles relating to the start of the season.

Fan

Anonymous said...

Judging from the new ads on 550 the Zone, games will be on 550,(Kurt Haider) and I guess from the exact wording that they did not broadcast the pre-season game this season, and they didn't broadcast the pre-season games last year....so it leads us to believe that no longer will pre-season games will be broadcast's.

And, D, how many grammer mistakes did I just make????

I think the line is -4....

None said...

Does anyone know if UAA games will be on gci.net again this year?

I'm out of town for one more year... so I hope so.

Donald Dunlop said...

Fan,
I'll be direct and polite here.

If you compare past seasons coverage from the beginning of September to today you'll find more hockey related content this season than in the past.

I do this blog for ZERO compensation. I started doing it because the local paper reduced their coverage and the overwhelming attitude amongst local fans that Doyle Woody wasn't a "supporter" of the program.

Perhaps you can show me a blogger on the college hockey internet that writes more hockey stuff about their team than I do?

Perhaps you could do something to help? When was the last time you submitted something for me to post? For that matter and for your edification ... I've had a grand total of 3 things submitted when I've BEGGED people to submit something.

Reading here costs you nothing. Everything you get here is a bonus compared to what you'd get if I wasn't here. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If ANY other UAA supporter wants to take this blog over and can minimally convince me that they'll do something comparable (it doesn't have to be as much or anywhere near the quality I provide) then I'll hand them the keys and walk away. I'd actually be happy to do so.

I was about to call Derek Donald and see if/what I could do to highlight whatever efforts he is making to improve attendance etc. I don't feel like it now.

Thanks for your support. ---rollseyes---

Suze said...

Oh Donald, pretty please? If there is something you can do to help increase attendance, then do it! You know that 99% of us appreciate your efforts!!

I know the students can swipe their ID's for each sporting event they attend, and might win airline tickets at the end of the season. I think they get 5% off the bookstore as well.

Donald Dunlop said...

Suze,
I'll call him tomorrow and get the full scoop. It's just that "Fan" is a very very very regular reader and to have someone like that say what they did ... well it just .... takes something out of me.

Especially considering that I feel guilty for allowing this to take up as much of my time as it does. The whole writing about something other than hockey is a part of what is keeping me here.

And now this all sounds like me whining. And I sure as hell don't want to sound like that.

Donald Dunlop said...

Any GCI users out there that can't see the College Hockey News website? Is it just me?

Spoon? You said it was down for you. Is it still?

Anonymous said...

Writing is the lonliest number that you'll ever know... . Take heart, D, as your efforts are appreciated and needed--especially by us hockey dads who are far away and missing the rink gossip that has been so much a part of our lives. Cheers! -30-

Suze said...

College Hockey News is down for me as well.

spoon said...

i got on it this morning, but i just tried again didn't work.

Suze said...

Hey Donald, when you talk to Derek tomorrow, ask about the Green & Gold Fridays. A friend wants to know if young kids get in free again this year. Thanks.

akhockeyfanatic said...

Donald,
Our lives wouldn't be complete without your blog. Nevermind about one random comment.

Here's one for you - UAA Hockey Fan blog is the first thing I check every morning before work. Either your blog is a truly great thing or it could be that I am just a loser. I'm banking on the great thing.

Keep up the great work.

Are we ready for some hockey this weekend???!!!???

Anonymous said...

I think that it's simply the best college hockey blog around. I read it all the time, very addictive.

Will said...

Keep up the good work you are doing Donald. Your Blog is where we come to get Seawolves news. When the team gets home ice this year you will have all the news. When the team gets to the frozen four, your blog will be where everyone will get Seawolves news. They will be coming to see what 005has to say.

Donald Dunlop said...

For those who can't get to CHN ... Please call GCI ...

They don't believe it is their problem. They're blaming it on my Mac. Reference Trouble Ticket #229426. Hopefully you guys are on PC's too.

Thanks very much.

And also thanks for the positive comments all. There may be some times in the near future where I won't have as much time to be as extensive as I like to be. When that happens, I'll still try my best and hope you keep reading.

Donald Dunlop said...

Will:

005?

Donald Dunlop said...

Now CHN is up? LOL ...

Sigh ...

Anonymous said...

It would be a shame to lose a Fan after a random comment.

Anonymous said...

Fan....
Donald is the supreme being in his "blogdom"...be happy he has a blog for UAA fans to enjoy. I sure as hell am.
Mike

Suze said...

Just got the Seawolf electronic newsletter.

Noteworthy items:

"The great locker room project is nearing completion and soon we will be serving all of our athletes in a better manner as well as all of our students and other user groups".

and

"Kickoff BBQ – Thursday, October 8 2009 – 11:30am

Join us as we celebrate the kickoff to Homecoming 2009 in front of the UAA Bookstore.
For more information please contact Derek Donald."

Maybe this will get some of the students involved. I hope the student section is full this weekend!

Word verification: sucksti (LOL) I was gonna say something about UA_, but I'll be nice.

Will said...

I got the 005 from one of your previous posts, your media credentials that I thoght I read, 005 or was it oo5.

Donald Dunlop said...

Will,
I commend your memory. It exceeds mine exponentially. My media pass is indeed #005.

All I could think of your reference is that I was somehow 2 less than 007. I do prefer my drinks stirred rather than shaken so ...

Anonymous said...

Fan,
Come back. It's not the same without you.
Go Seawolves!

Donald Dunlop said...

I didn't mean to bitch-out "Fan". I guess it wasn't my finest hour.

I'm sorry "Fan". I really am.

Post a Comment