Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Exhibition Game Preview: S.A.I.T

Canadians think Americans are stupid. The Chinese think we're stupid. Limeys living in America think we're stupid. Some Germans think we're stupid. Even some Americans think we're stupid. Some smart Aussies proved Americans are stupid. We're famous all over the world for our stupidity. So, who better than me to attempt to disprove this stereotype? The best answer to that question is probably; lots of people. But I'm gonna try to do my bit this one time. So now ... for everything you ever wanted to know about Canadia but were afraid to ask. Ok; not all of Canadia but rather one very small part of it. Ok; not even that small part of it, but rather one tiny facet of that one small part of America's neighbor to the east. Hey, I'm in America (even if some American's don't realize it) and Canadia is due east. Whenever I hear the Great White North I can't help but think Great White East.

Ok then ... let us take a look at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (oops forgive my 1st stupid error); it's actually called SAIT Polytechnic. I guess nobody really liked saying Southern Alberta Institute of Technology so they changed it. In fact I'm not even that sure it ever was called Southern Alberta Institute of Technology; looking at their main webpage there is no indication to support my assumption. In fact scrolling around their pages I can't easily find any evidence that this joint is in Calgary (but Mat Robinson told me it was so ... I'll take him at his word since he's from Canadia) ... psst ... I think they're really in Okotoks but that's close, eh?. I saw a reference to the worlds largest glacial erratic close to Okotoks on the Science Channel once, otherwise I'd be blissfully ignorant of anyplace with such a name.

Here's a link to the SAIT Trojans sports programs website. Don't bother clicking it. Besides having an 07-08 team picture, the place is devoid of any real information about the current team (i.e... no roster). There's a good bio of the coach. And some good history i.e... the Trojans have become very competitive in their recent history in the ACAC Conference. My ignorance of CIS structure and how that relates to whether this is a good team aside, it does say they've won a couple of Canadian Colleges National Championships in the last four years. Head Coach Ken Babey has been at the helm for 19 years and has the ACAC record for wins.

So did any of that prove that Americans aren't stupid? I think it's pretty obvious that the stereotypes are true. I stupidly couldn't find a single useful thing about the current team. Here's a link to last years roster. But since I don't know if "Eligibility" means remaining or used then it isn't much use without pouring through each individual player profile. I'm all about educating my readers wherever possible but that isn't gonna happen tonight. Fear not though, I do have one piece of useful information. They've played 5 games so far this season and are 2-3 so far, losing to the University of Saskatchewan, the University of Regina and the BC Clippers.

So since I can't overcome the stereotype then I'm just going with a couple of assumptions to summarize. This opponent will be spirited and will finish their checks. They'll be older and more experienced. They won't want to lose to a stupid American school (even if 13 of our players are from Canadia).

No comments:

Post a Comment