Thursday, October 19, 2006

KTUU Channel 2 Anchorage Sucks

It isn't tomorrow yet so I thought I'd spout off about something. Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed something. The Alaska Aces have their shit together. It's not like it was probably that difficult for staff in that organization to do so when the team on the ice won the league championship last year. But let me tell you specifically what I mean.

The Aces open their regular season home schedule tomorrow night against the Victoria "whatevers" who were pretty much the worst team in the entire ECHL last year. The Aces staff have done their job well indeed; they've wrapped up the two biggest media outlets in town. The ADN had a big spread midweek about the Aces. Their website even hosts player profiles on a semi-permanent fully-prominent spot on the ADN sports webpage. Over the last two weeks watchers of KTUU have been inundated with a couple of spots that could be defined as nothing other than a co-marketing agreement. You've got basically every familiar face that appears on KTUU mugging in the commercials for the Aces. What's wrong with that? They're a commercial TV station in business to make money. Why shouldn't they leverage the opportunity as the Aces official broadcaster? I suppose they should. Go ahead ... promo the hell out of the Aces. It'll get you more viewers; I'm all good with that. But why does that mean that on a Thursday night when the "KTUU Aces" are playing a marginal franchise in their opening game that the station completely ignores the UAA/UAF rivalry? Only one reason. They have absolutely ZERO integrity as "journalists". I realize that it's ridiculous to classify talking heads on TV as "journalists" but thats what they think they are. And in that vain they have intentionally failed. It's pretty much a direct spit in the face from Al Bramstedt to UAA. I won't forget it.

That's the last time I watch that shit station. From now on, I'll be watching KTVA Channel 11 who had a report tonight on the upcoming UAA/UAF game; I didn't manage to see what Channel 13 had. This season will see more success on the ice for UAA and when KTUU comes knocking I hope the school doesn't bend over backwards to accomodate them. Let me be clear about something; I'm not in any way indicting the Aces staff. On the contrary, they should be congratulated for a job well done. They've gotten the two biggest media outlets in town to give them lots of attention; that's their job. And I doubt anyone with the Aces wants to see UAA minimized that way.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Channel 13 had a small piece on the UAA/UAF matchup this weekend right after the obiligatory Aces story (and before a story on the UAA v-ball game tonight). So they are a step ahead of Channel 2. I'm really disappointed in Channel 2 lately. They really seem to be dragging themselves down, though Channel 13 is nowhere near perfect in their production quality, it seems like they try to make it to all the sporting events they can to get film, be it high school, college, Aces...

On another note, I got free tix to tomorrow nights Aces game, but gave them away. I'm just not interested. I'd rather sit home and watch UAA/UAF on TV than deal with the drunk morons on the wet side at an Aces game.

Donald Dunlop said...

I certainly don't want to debate the "newsworthiness" of UAA hockey. The program hasn't been newsworthy over the last couple of years and I don't fault media for not covering them much. In fact, that's part of the reason I bit the bullet and started this blog. But the CLEAR intentional snubbing by KTUU tonight was too much to bear.

If I could find a "Fuck KTUU" hat or jersey or something I'd wear it.

Anonymous said...

If and when the Aces lose some steam and have a record that is below .500, what then? Maybe the TV stations can follow the ADN and can do a segement on O'Connoll from CC or who knows, they can always go back to Scottie

Anonymous said...

I know Channel 2 will be in Fairbanks this week with their sat truck for live shots at 5, 6, and 10. But yeah it sucks they didn't have anything today.

Donald Dunlop said...

Commercial broadcasters have a mandate from the FCC that they "serve the community interest" or some such phrasing. The University isn't a money making venture and hence coverage of them would qualify for "credit" with the FCC .... I'd think.

KTUU appears to "do it's bit" with things like their health coverage. But take note that you will never see anything on that channel regarding health that doesn't involve Providence Hospital who spends tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of dollars advertising with them. Stuff like that is really nothing other than a thinly veiled commercial for Providence disguised as "community involvement". It doesn't help my judgement (I suppose) that I think the guy who runs Providence (former GCI bigwig) is a complete scumbag or that I think John Tracy is a pig and the sports editor is nothing more than Tracy's little bitch.

Not to go to overboard though I know that they also get involved with lots of other community projects and promote certain charities and the like. Some of that they have to do to keep their license. So overall I suppose they aren't SATAN ... but my interest is Seawolf hockey and they're pretty much THE SUCK in that area.

Anonymous said...

Drop them a note, like I did, and let them know how you feel.

DC said...

Preach it from the mountaintops, my brother!

Anonymous said...

It seems rather ironic that Steve MacDonald (KTUU, asst news director) was the MC at the Nye Frontier Classic Player banquet last weekend. Support of the community through college athletics is a no brainer. Economics 101, big picture and all that jazz. Someone needs to wake up and smell the starbucks.


Gatorgirl

Donald Dunlop said...

MacDonald is a UAA fan. I've seen him at the games since forever.

Anonymous said...

Oh I know he's a fan, but I guess it can't translate regarding the coverage condsidering where he works. I was surprised on the 10 pm news UAA was top story on their game 1 win!

Go Wolves.

Gatorgirl

Post a Comment