Saturday, October 11, 2008

Kendall Classic: Day One

Northeastern 2 - Fairbanks 2
For two periods tonight the Northeastern Huskies were clearly the superior team. Whether it was a massively great effort for UA_ or a substantial drop-off in the 3rd period is a bit hard to say. Given UA_'s youth and inexperience I'd tend to think that NU just didn't put together a 60 minute performance. Perhaps it was getting here on Thursday night that was the problem. I'm not one of those to give much weight to the long travel argument. But from what I understand NU was "tied up" until at least 10pm Thursday night. Personally, I don't think that should be an issue for 20 year old young men. But who knows? I'm not one to give a whole lot of credit to my 2nd most hated team (that's right ... there's a team I despise more than UA_) so I'm willing to write off Northeastern's performance to the long travel. If I was an NU fan I'd perhaps question whoever made the travel arrangements.

The Huskies are clearly a quality team. Their passing was crisp and tape to tape. They presented some issues for UA_ with a couple of speedy players. Their power play looked dangerous but was plagued by the same problem they seemed to have all night. They put potential finishers wide and wide and wide again. We all know you can't score if you don't put the puck on the net. For NU fans I'd call that 1st game rust. The game was virtually absent of any real physical play as neither team really seemed to desire a hitting game. If I was a fan of either squad I'd be concerned a bit about that. Goaltending wasn't an issue for either squad.

Now for the downside of this game. Both UA_ goals were credited after EXTENSIVE reviews. Both goals were kicked in ... ok ok ... both goals were scored off Brandon Knelson's skate (I hear he's earned a tryout for the LA Galaxy of MLS based on tonights performance). The whole issue of kicked/redirected pucks into the net has been a bit convoluted in the rule book over the last couple of years and a change was made again this year in an attempt to clarify the whole issue. Based on what I saw tonight I honestly don't know if they've fixed this issue. I know I hate Squarebanks and all but anyway I wouldn't have given them a goal either time. The first was waved off enthusiastically by the referee behind the net. The second questionable goal saw both refs heading to the replay machine without having made any clear indication during the play. None of that denies that UA_ put forth a better overall effort in the 3rd than did NU. They even dominated in offensive zone possession for much of the final period outshooting NU 14-2.

Since the tournament is fixed format tie games on the first night mean shootouts. UAF_ won the shootout. It wasn't "exciting"; the attempts were mundane and uninspired. There was no real display of skill except for the one UA_ attempt that made the difference. And hey "DMC"; no hon I'm not suicidal, I've actually seen lots of shootouts in person.

Seawolves 6 - UConn 2
For a period and a half the UConn Huskies "hung in there" and pretty played the Seawolves even. But I think as the game went on UAA's greater depth began to wear down them down. I was real impressed with the tenacity of UAA's 4th line. In a bit of a surprise move to me Jeremy Smith played wing on a line with Ken Selby and Nick Haddad. I was impressed with how well those guys did. More often than not they pinned UConn into their own end with a quality cycle. I was a bit concerned about Jeremy's level of emotional play at the end of the 1st period. He skated off the bench and instead of heading to the locker room with the rest of the team he went straight across the redline to have a word with a UConn player. It earned him a 2 minute misconduct. Turned out if wasn't really an issue as Jeremy seemed mature enough to contain that emotion and turn it into positive play on the ice. Way to go Jeremy. Not to overstate it but you probably just played the best hockey game of your life. Good on ya. Selby and Haddad's play was also special I thought. Way to go guys ... I thought you all looked inspired. All three guys had decent chances and honestly ... Jeremy showed some skill I wouldn't have thought he had. Their efforts were responsible for the "game over" moment when although UAA was already up 4-2 their great effort led to a easy goal for Mat Robinson who smartly skated diagonally through the slot to a rebound and buried it into a 3/4s open net ... 5-2 ... game over man. Robbie is a stud and he showed that tonight. Whoever it is that votes on such things (mainstream media-types) gave him the player of the game nod. Good call.

UAA's scoring came from throughout the lineup ... Lunden nabbed 2 power play goals, Robbie had a goal and an assist, Paul Crowder had an outstanding game as well in my mind. His penalty kill work was especially effective but those efforts didn't tell the story as he picked up 3 assists. Brian Bales picked up two assists as did Jade Portwood. Parkinson, Grant, and Moir picked up a goal apeice. Nice to see it spread around fairly evenly like that and great to see the rookies contributing. Both are positvie signs I think. I've barely mentioned Josh Lunden here and it would be a disservice to not take note of (single out) his two goal performance. His second goal was pretty as he took the puck on his forehand and outskated the defender through the high slot and fired a hard wrister into the twine. Bryce got the nod in the crease tonight and had a solid game. The stats sheet says he faced 18 shots. That was a gross undercount. The local official counting shots at the Sully has historically shorted the home team and tonight was another clear example of that. It's a bit of a shame for UAA goalies as undercounting reflects negatively on their save percentage. 1 shot in the 2nd period? I don't think so ... someone needs to review shot counting protocol I think. Bryce faced several tough tests during crease scrambles and managed to come out on top to keep the Huskies from getting back into the game. He also had a real nice save on a breakaway where he used his size smartly to cut off the angle and deny a good shot. I don't want to guess about whether Coach will go with Bryce again tomorrow or rotate Jonny O in for his chance. If you made me bet I'd say he'll go with Olthuis. But I wouldn't have an issue I suppose if Bryce got the start. A little bit of mystery is perhaps a good thing in this case.

The UAA/UConn game was 180 degrees different from the UA_/NU game in terms of physical play. Both UAA and UConn were more than happy to employ that part of the game tactically. My hit scorecard would definitely be in favor of UAA but I think UConn fans can be heartened that their team was frisky enough to go toe-to-toe for the majority of the game. Their shoulders didn't really drop until UAA got to 6 halfway through the 3rd period. There was no shame in their loss and for what it's worth I suspect that UConn might be underrated.

Both games were called to the letter in terms of adhering to the new rule changes. Everything was called. There were 27 power play opportunities combined in the two games. Yep. 27. 18 of those were in the UAA/UConn game. And as coaches have been saying in the media ... special teams was the key. Both NU and UA_ killed off all the power plays they faced. Both NU and UA_ couldn't score on their power plays. Result ... tie game. UAA scored 4 power play goals while killing off 6 others. UConn scored 2 power play goals. Result = 4 goal differential. I don't sense that the referees will slack off on these stricter rules over the course of the season. Get used to lots of special teams play and having it be a bigger factor in the end result than in the past. Good thing? Bad thing? It is what it is.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly when did we become the Sea Sphinx's?? That has to be the most heinous looking mascott I've ever seen...

Kris said...

Yeah they should have kept the wolf. Why can't our school keep a mascot? Sparky to Spirit to whatever this hedgehog looking thing is named.

Well, another strong Classic start. Let's hope they can keep this going throughout the year though, but for now win tomorrow boys and you are 2-0! I really do think this team looked faster and like it had more talent than years before but I think a lot of judgement needs to be reserved until better teams (ones that have actually played games before they play us) are played and how they do in the second half is huge. I do think that Dave might have something going though.

I also questioned the putting in of Jeremy Smith, especially since Brad McCabe was not playing. That puzzled me especially after how McCabe centered Lunden and Clark on the PP in the BC game and the fact that I predicted Brad to have a good season. I think that coach wanted someone to take the energy/checking game over for Tuton, while he is injured. I also want to know when we will see Selby on a scoring line instead of always being on the 4th line. This guy has speed and I think could do somethings but hasn't had much of an opportunity yet. We shall see, I think coach knows a little more than I do.

Anonymous said...

Did anyone try to get the online broadcast or listen on the radio last night? I turned on the game last night and it first it sounded very quiet and really "buzzy". They cut back to Baseball and when the game came back on the quality was better but still very quiet. Then the whole thing went silent.

I think they must have been having technical difficulties at the sullivan because the commercials sounded GREAT! But anyway, I hope it works better tonight. Gotta keep us Alaskans in Exile hooked up.

Anonymous said...

The radio problem was mostly cleared up by the start of the game (with only slight problems in the first period) and good the last two periods. Agree that the mascot is something else - liked the old one better. It looks like a wild boar from one view and an Egyptian god from another. It is worth seeing both games. Dion Knelsen is worth seeing anytimes he plays.

Anonymous said...

I also hated the new Seawolf mascot. UGLY. It looked top heavy, and I kept waiting for the skater to tip over. LOL

Bring back the old wolf.

Anonymous said...

UA_ winning our tournament is not acceptable. Lets return the favor guys! Go get 'em this next weekend.

Anonymous said...

U of A winning the tourney and losing to NU is disgusting. What a joke!!!

Kris said...

I liked the old wolf as well, but the skater actually is pretty pumped about the new get up. It is a lot better for him.

Talked to Johnny O after the game Saturday night. He was not at all happy about letting Squarebanks win our tournament. They will be looking for revenge to say the least.

It also seemed like it might be a huge factor trying to get into any rhythm when you have something like 4 penalties called in the first six minutes. I understand calling the games tight, but please the whistle fest makes it a lot worse for the fans. Everything is supposedly geared to make the game better for the fans but they are driving me away that is for sure. I want to see hockey not a bunch zebras blowing their whistles every two minutes or a talent competition between a skater and goalie. Let's play hockey! (yes Donald I have signed your petition and have been tempted to see if it would let me sign again and again!)

Anonymous said...

You have to give the nooks some credit here guys!! They are a team of freshman and they actually looked as if they have been playing together for several seasons already!! I really think it would have been an interesting game had UAA and UAF played on Sunday!! GO NOOKS!! Kendall Classic champs and soon to be Brice Goal Rush champs!!

Post a Comment