Thursday, October 30, 2008

Who Has Video This Weekend?

So it's the first real road series of the year (Fairbanks doesn't count) and any UAA fan who is equally desperate as me wants to know where they can watch UAA pound MTU into submission twice this weekend. I had mentioned that UAA's SplashZone from the GoSeawolves website should be carrying it. Should is the keyword in that sentence. I've spent more than a few minutes on the GoSeawolves site to determine if that "should" is a "can". And I'm just not sure. I can't find a SCHEDULE on the website for the events. They're all about signing up people for monthly and/or yearly subscriptions but a definitive "click here to watch UAA vs. MTU" doesn't exist. If someone out there knows for sure then please comment because the next thing I'm telling Seawolf fans is to go to the MTU website where they have a CLEARLY laid out schedule of events and both this weekends games are available.

I don't work for UAA. I don't have an unofficial or official affiliation with anyone. But I can't imagine that the folks at UAA really want me pointing my readers (i.e.. their potential customers) to the opponents website to see the games. I have no idea how much of the 5 bucks or so that the University actually gets from selling a steaming webcast. But it seems to me that pointing a couple of hundred folks to the opponents website loses a few bucks for UAA. Sorry UAA. Put an upcoming live events schedule up and I won't recommend that to my readers in the future.

Let me be clear. I fully assume and expect that UAA will be offering the streaming video for this weekends games. But I can't confirm it through their website and you know what? I'm not a reporter. I'm not about to pick up the phone and get transferred between two or three people until I find someone at UAA to confirm the game is on. No doubt MTU's stream costs about the same amount as UAA's. I know who's getting my 10 bucks this weekend. Sorry UAA.

Friday Edit: I'm sure it will come as a shock to everyone that I apparently don't know everything.  It is something I've been aware of for the better part of my adult life but of course you'd never know it by the way I come across with what I write here.  I could have sworn I'd watched streaming video of an away game via SplashZone but as was pointed out in by the always valuable jjack in the comments section that service is audio only.  Thanks to Dr. Cobb (who by the way always knows more than I do about virtually anything) for stopping by as well and commenting. I've always been impressed with his accessibility.  The one thing I did seem to get right is that to watch the game you'll have to purchase it from MTU.  So my apologies for my (unrighteous) indignation toward the keepers of the UAA website.  And oh yeah ... it CLEARY says on the SplashZone page that it is an audio service.  Forgive my tizzy.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be easier to make the phone call?

Anonymous said...

DONALD..I WENT TO THE MTU WEBSITE AND SAW IT WAS ONLY ON RADIO...AM I BLIND\

Donald Dunlop said...

Why should anyone have to make a phone call? It should be clear on the website whether or not the game is available.

I'm not in the business of promoting UAA's business interests ... and if their website sucks in that respect then I'm going to point it out. Don't I spend enough of my own time promoting the hockey team?

If you click on the MTU link I provided you can see that video streaming is available. UAA should have made it equally clear.

Anonymous said...

I've been complaining about their website for years, glad you are bringing attention to it.

Anonymous said...

The Huskies are averaging a league-low 14.5 penalty minutes a game this season, so lets stay out of the box this weekend Seawolves!

Alex Gagne is a Seawolf killer, lets shut him down this weekend too!

Good luck boys!

Anonymous said...

ANY BODY got any scoop ON WHOS STARTING IN NET FRIDAY????

Anonymous said...

Seawolf Nation--it is "their" game we have no control over their media. They do not have TV capability or we would have it streamed here.

Cobb

Anonymous said...

As for the splash zone: I am a fan living outside and I subscribe to this service.

First of all, it's audio only. It is just the radio cast streamed. If you turn in early you will hear that it is just the local ESPN AM channel.

Now, as far as availability, they have all the games -- as well as basketball, gymnastics, whatever -- for a YEARLY fee. The only game so far that hasn't been available was when, I assume, something was going haywire at the Sully because it played the radio feed fine, Kurt just sounded like crap and would cut out entirely at times.

Hopefully that will clear up what the "Splash Zone" thing is.

Anonymous said...

So just to clarify my above post: don't sign up for splash zone if you're in the Anchorage radio area or absolutely have to see video. It's just a stream of the local radio station.

If you live outside the Anchorage area and don't have $300 a season to drop on streaming video, then it's a good deal.

Anonymous said...

Last night on the Coach Shyiak show he said Leinweber wouldn't be making the trip, but today's ADN says he did, and is listed as day to day.

Shyiak also told Haider there were no more injuries, but did he simply forget to mention Portwood? Anyone know his status?

Anonymous said...

why isnt the shiak show on the damm website...how hard is that..

Anonymous said...

Portwood is home in Anchorage with a sprained MCL compliments of the knee-on-knee against Mercyhurst.

Anonymous said...

SO NHL NETWORK JUST ANNOUNCED AN EXTENSION TO SHOW COLLEGE HOCKEY GAMES IN US ONE OF THEM INCLUDED UAA NORTH DAKOTA ON NOV 14, ANYONE KNOW IF WE GET NHL NETWORK OR WILL GCI BROADCAST IT?

SPOON

Anonymous said...

Donald your a computer whiz...See if you can add the Coach Shiak show to YOUR WEBSITE...That would be a nice addition to your top notch blog...

Anonymous said...

Well, technically Tech got 2 PP goals tonight, but all three were with the man advantage, as Kane had just come out of the box when they scored.

UAA has GOT to stop with the penalties. Coach, please get this under control!! Sit the guys who are taking excessive stupid penalties.

Anonymous said...

NO KIDDEN WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO TAKE CHARGE OF THE DISCIPLINE FOR UAA FIVE PENALITIES TO ZERO IN THE SECOND PERIOD ABSOLUTELY BRUTAL SIT THE DUMB ASSES ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Anonymous said...

anon you must be one of the four people that actually read this blog...

Post a Comment