Monday, October 18, 2010

Mellor On Hockey News Hot List

Sam Mellor in action with Trail Smoke Eaters
The Hockey News Hot List compiled by Ryan Kennedy on October 12th lists Sam Mellor amongst 10 players he says "we're excited to see in the NHL one day."  The blurb on Mellor says,
One point off the British Columbia League’s scoring lead, Mellor’s 28 points through 14 games is nonetheless impressive for a 17-year-old. A demon on the power play, Mellor can also throw a nice check and is committed to the University of Alaska-Anchorage for next season. Draft eligible in 2011.
The other nine players listed are Mark McNeill (Prince Albert-WHL), Alexx Privitera (Muskegon-USHL), Luke Adam (Portland-AHL), Brandon Saad (Saginaw-OHL), Nikita Kucherov (CSKA2-MHL), Rocco Grimaldi (USNTDP), Mark Pysyk (Edmonton-WHL), Maxime Clermont (Gatineau-QMJHL) and Tobias Rieder (Kitchener-OHL).

So my guess on Sunday that NHL scouts may somewhat overlook Mellor because of his size was perhaps a bit hasty.  I suppose I better be more vigilant in my regular searches.  If I had been then I would have seen this article prior to making that prediction.  

It's worth noting that this is a "hot list" which is indicative of the various players listed "hot" early seasons and not some sort of prediction about the NHL draft.  It is a regular weekly feautre.  In any case, have a read and it'll become apparent that Mellor is being talked about in some pretty nice company.

(Edit): I wasn't on top of the fact that the Central Scouting Bureau's "Watch List" was so close to be published when I posted this Mellor article last night.  My bad.  Today they released their first watch list for 2011 and Mellor is included as a "B" prospect amongst the 7 other BCHL players listed.  Here's a link to the PDF document listing all the players.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno I find it hard to not think that other teams will not be all over him and he will decommit to Anchorage. I think alots going to ride on the first half and to see if he Seawolves can actually win some close games rather than whats been the norm. He is a top player and why take a chance here if its another "rebuilding season". Hes legit and why not put yourself in the best place possible. Its got to be a concern.

Donald Dunlop said...

Well there's this whole thing about schools having an agreement to not chase other schools verbals. I was worried about him going to the WHL early last year but got word through the grapevine that he and his parents value the college route.

And being in the WCHA is "the best place possible". It doesn't matter what team you play for you get the exposure. And does exposure matter once you're drafted? Not really. Then it's all about monitoring his development by the team that drafted him.

Just hope that Calgary doesn't draft him (they hate the NCAA) or that the Sutters get tossed after this season if the Flames don't get into or past the first round of the playoffs. They're definitely on the hot seat for their drafting/development practices.

Mellor's junior A career has been spent on a team that isn't exactly a powerhouse. Not all players are concerned with playing for a potential championship team. And he'll have pretty much every development option available to him here that he'd have at any other school.

It's not possible to guess anything about the relationship between Shyiak and Mellor (and family) but maybe they clicked eh ... and Mellor is all about coming to play for him?

Also, confirmation may come during the fall signing period when Mellor is first eligible to sign his LOI. That's just a few weeks away. If he signs the LOI he isn't going anywhere else.

So for whatever reasons, I'm confident he'll come here and will assume so. I have faith that Shyiak et al are keeping in regular contact with him.

Anonymous said...

The Sutters (and what brother isn't on the Flames' payroll?) are dinosaurs. I watched Mellor the other day. Hope not, but I suspect a Dub team will be picking him up.

Anonymous said...

A "Dub" team?

Donald Dunlop said...

As I mentioned, I understand Mellor and family value the college route versus major juniors.

Maybe someone in the WHL should have talked to him when was playing Junior B like UAA did.

Like I said, I'm confident he'll play here.

Anonymous said...

Huge well C on mellor

Anonymous said...

Mellor is as good as he seems. Go to many of the games and think many scouts will take notice that size will not be an issue. I really doubt he will jump to the WHL. He is a leader on the team and understands that his team this year has a chance to be special. That being said it will depend on who drafts him and what thier opinion is.

None said...

I have the same concerns as the first anon poster. I actually saw Mellor's name on the NHL Central Scouting list and that made be nervous. Bottom line, he could very possibly go "Spencer Bennett" on us. But I'll hold my breath hoping against hope that DD is right.
I think the reason I (and apparently others) am nervous is that this staff has yet to pull a big name scorer as a recruit. By 'big name' I mean a recruit that is ranked B or better by NHL Central Scouting. In fact, the only B that this staff has pulled is Mcleod, I may be wrong on that, but I don't recall anyone. That said, by the looks of things Wes probably should have been an A , this kid is special.

Neil said...

I have to say that reading about a recruit like Sam Mellor really gets me excited about next year. So far I like some of the new guys on the ice. They aren't playing like freshmen, they are playing with more maturity than we have seen in the past. I'd say give these guys plenty of ice time, make sure we don't lose Mellor, and while we are at it get a few more with the upside like Mellor.

Anonymous said...

As of right now, Sean Wiles is not being bothered by his shoulder. He was involved in checking drills, didn't wear the maroon jersey (stating it's a bad idea to hit me), nor wearing the bright R3D jersey. (stating it's a bad, bad, bad idea to hit me) So I think it's safe to assume he's good to go for this weekend's games.

Practice today was really upbeat. Coaches, goalies, errybody was in a good mood. And, Jordan Kwas seemingly never gets rid of his smile. Man that kid can be special. Nothing against our other guys, but he's got the "it" thing.

Donald Dunlop said...

ASF should write for this blog!

Jimjamesak said...

He makes me look bad!

Will in section 213 said...

Just wanted to say Thanks Donald for what you do for Seawolve fans. I don't enter many comments but I do check your blog several times a week to get the best information available on what is going on with our team. Your upgrade to your blog from past years is also very noticable and makes it a pleasure to view. Keep up the continued positive message you provide concerning the Seawolves.

Anonymous said...

I've thought about it, but right now I think it's best I jus comment. I gotta find a goood balance between school, what's left of my social life, and sports.

Post a Comment