Sunday, March 01, 2009

Sunday Potpourri: Koyaanisqatsi


I really get sick of hearing the stupid 6 months of darkness comments from lower 48 types. Today's number of hours of daylight in Minneapolis is 11 hours and 12 minutes ... daylight hours for Anchorage today? 10 hours and 24 minutes. Before the week is out Anchorage will likely have more daylight hours than Minneapolis. OK?

Dear loyal readers. I know you want to read about the Seawolves. I know you'd prefer to keep the focus here on that subject. But, I'm not always going to restrain myself and shit is going to come out of my mouth that isn't relevant to that focus. It generally isn't the rule of the day. In fact I'd tend to think historically about 95% of the words on this blog ARE directly focused on the Seawolves or their opponents. I'm not a journalist. I wouldn't want to be one. I'm here to express myself about Seawolf Hockey and anything else that comes to mind. So ... now; blame a commenter for the following.

Sarah Palin is a whoring bitch with nary a working brain cell. Her hubby is a zero-integrity cuckolded wimp. I forgive dimwitted idiots for voting her into the Governorship. You were duped into believing this broad was something more than a smiling waving pose-queen. It isn't your fault. She looks good on TV and since TV is your GOD you believe what you see. I get it. Exercising any reasoning faculties between your ears gives you a headache. I get it. Why bother to think for yourself when John Tracy at KTUU is showing you pretty pictures and laying on the bullshit? I get it and I forgive you. Now that said, if you support the Seawolves and can't separate my disdain for the aforementioned slut then quit reading here. I'm going to attack her personally and professionally in any manner I see fit whenever it occurs to me to do so. Get it?

I think she's an embarrassment to Alaska and too many people around the country actually think that everyone in Alaska loves this bimbo. So if my derision for her has the possibility to open up just one person's mind in Timbuktu to the possibility that her infidelity is a sign of poor character then I'm going to do it (not withstanding all the other stupidity that she spews). Get it? I could care less if she is some fantasy Mother You'd Like to Fuck because unless you're partnered with her hubby in a snowmachine business it ain't going to happen.

Perhaps you look at her and see something of yourself in her. Perhaps you imagine that with different circumstances in your own life that you could have been her. Well, if you really want someone governing you that is "just like you" then vote for her. Personally, I'd prefer that the people who govern me be somehow superior to me. And the bitch we're talking about here simply isn't. That's right ... I'm smarter, have more integrity and am generally an all around better human than that trollop.

Nice weekend by the guys. I'm not like many other Seawolf fans who take great satisfaction in seeing the team beat UAF. I'd trade the two wins this weekend for two wins against any other WCHA team. 4 WCHA points > Governor's Cup in my book. Yes the program has bragging rights for another year and a threepeat. Good stuff. But really, beating up a little sister doesn't do that much for me.

I think losing the Governor's Cup 3 times on stupid shootouts has a lot to do with my attitude about it. Seeing UAF fans dance all over the Internets with their "We have the cup" bullshit made me realize how little it actually means. Three times UAA split the series with UAF but because they won a shootout they got to proclaim dominance? Nonsense. You won't see me jumping up and down celebrating the Governor's Cup record. I prefer the actual head-to-head record. Know what that is? 80-48-11 ... including a 34-29-6 record in Fairbanks.

You can't begin a review of the weekend without the first mention being the play of Bryce Christianson. Bryce was "ON" again. He made more than a few spectacular saves. He gave the team in front of him exactly the sort of performance they need to win a game on both nights. I think that two other Seawolf players stood out from the rest this weekend. Not to take anything away from anyone else but Paul Crowder and Kevin Clark were very effective in my opinion. I'm not even paying attention to their stats for that assessment. If they'd both finished with 0 points on the weekend I'd still say the same thing. Clarkie was as energetic as I've seen him all year and Crowder played with an edge that isn't necessarily always there.

I think it's obvious that the blueliners were in good form. Their stats do tell that story. 4 of the 11 scoring points came from defenseman this weekend including 2 of the 4 goals. Nils Backstrom had a monster weekend in terms of his all-around play. He dominated in his end time after time dispossessing Nanook puck carriers and putting them on their asses and his intelligent 4-on-4 play gave UAA the goal that put the stake in UAF's heart on Saturday night.

I think Kane Lafranchise turned a corner within the last few weeks. He has taken his level of play up a notch and right now I think he and Nils are playing the best of all the defenseman. Trevor Hunt always delights me with his sharp play and this weekend I thought he was great both keeping the puck in the zone at the point and carrying the puck on the rush. He always seems to deke someone out of their breezers and who doesn't love to see that. Robbie of course was sharp and effective. My failure here to praise him shouldn't reflect poorly on him.

This weekend was an exercise in role playing and every forward on the team filled their role well. Moir, Portwood, Selby, Smith, Haddad, Parkinson, Lunden, Lovdahl, Aiken and Bales all played well. They all contributed effectively to keeping UAF from scoring. Bryce noted to the ADN that the shutouts were team efforts and I'd agree. The forwards worked hard in all three zones both nights.

The Seawolves can't climb out of ninth place. They'll almost certainly be heading to DU or UND for the playoffs. Having already won games this season against those two teams on their ice should give us some measure of hope for an upset. This coming weekends games against UMD have almost no real meaning for the Seawolves. Lose 'em both and you go to DU or UND. Win 'em both and you go to DU or UND. UAA's fate in that sense is out of their own hands.

However, there are some potentially very interesting things that could come from a couple of Seawolf wins this weekend. Right now the team's RPI has them sitting in 28th with a score of .5033. Beating UMD twice could put the Seawolves (it depends on other results also) into a TUC (Team Under Consideration) position with an RPI of .5124. This would mean that every team the Seawolves have played this season would see some benefit from UAA's wins this weekend. This could be especially helpful to Minnesota in particular if I'm interpreting things correctly. They can't help themselves much by beating MTU twice in their last two games so expect Gopher fans to be hoping for UAA wins this weekend. 3 other WCHA teams are likely also to benefit from a couple of UAA wins ... Wisconsin, CC and SCSU are in a position to benefit though they all need to win their remaining games more than they need UAA to win.

And oh yeah ... Koyaanisqatsi is a Hopi Indian word meaning "life out of balance". You can watch the entire film here on Google Video. It's worth it if you haven't seen it. It contains some of the most beautiful cinematography you'll ever see and the Philip Glass soundtrack is one of the greatest American musical compositions ever.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last night Robinson and Crowder were acting as Captain and Asst. Captains. Nice to see, thanks Shyiak.

Anonymous said...

He should just put the letters back on their jerseys... the way it should have been all along

Anonymous said...

just wondering how we would have done without the curfew issue.
PLayers are coming together, injuries may hurt us down the stretch.

Seawolve fan

petgigs said...

Hi Donald,
You have made my day, my month, possibly my year.
First, I'm a lifelong hockey fan, growing up in Mpls/St Paul & watching the Saints & Millers. Fans had to be careful--there were more fights in the stands than on the rink. I went to the U of Minnesota, but actually didn't pay too much attention to the Gophers, although they always did well. I live in Chicago now, & have been embarrassed by Blackhawk ownership for years. Finally, the Hawks have the start of a good team & may actually get into the Playoffs again.
Second, I got your blog because I work on the Philip Glass website philipglass.com, so I have google alerts & stuff out & get everything. I LOVE 'Koy' & anybody that puts it out there & 'gets' it is OK with me no matter what.
But thirdly, nobody in my life has scared me as much as 'the palin creature'. I was scared silly right up to the point on election night when the western states came in for Obama & I knew she was NOT going to be President. A whole room full of people cried like babies & she was part of the reason--we cried out of exhaustion, exultation & pure relief. I'm sure many had the same nightmare I was having. McSame wins, dies from any number of things within months, maybe even before the Inauguration, & palincreature is our president. At that point my significant other, our Akita, & I head for probably Portugal. Fortunately for entire world, that didn't happen.
I love every word of your blog & am now a Seawolves Fan.
Thank you THANK you THANK YOU!!!!!!
My best to you,
petgigs a/k/a Fran T

Donald Dunlop said...

Fran:
Thank you for what is now one of my favorite comments ever. I first became aware of Philip Glass when I saw Errol Morris's great documentary "The Thin Blue Line". I was awestruck not only by the amazing story but by Glass's incomparable soundtrack.

I was about 16 the first time I saw Koya ... It was a late Saturday night and after coming home from some high school party I found the TV on the USA Network watching the program they had called "Night Flight". It was somewhere in the middle of Koya and I was just TRANSFIXED. It was amazing. I didn't know what the hell it was until a few years later when I saw the whole thing.

Anyway ... it's great to hear I have a new reader.

petgigs said...

Yes,...you have a new reader.
Fran

Anonymous said...

How about the Palin No Show for the Governers cup. she could sure make the Irondog piece of shit snowmachine race. Shes nothing but "Hollywood" if you ask me.

Anonymous said...

OK.....let's face it.....did any of us really expect anything more of Sarah Palin this weekend? Seriously now.

Anonymous said...

She probably would use the excuse that the Glenn was closed for periods of time on Saturday due to accidents. But that one won't fly with me.....I made it back to the Valley at 2 pm after flying back from Fairbanks. I turned around and drove back to Anchorage safely and in plenty of time for the start of the game Saturday night. Yes, the Glenn was shitty but it was open. And unless you drove like a madman, anyone, including Sarah Palin, could have made it safely. Just gotta have your priorities straight and apparently she doesn't. Duh!!!

Anonymous said...

What a total waste of time to ripe on the governor. I guess you have nothing better to do. How sad for you. Good, bad or otherwise she is our governor. Would you be saying the same bullshit if our governor was a man? Get a grip we all understand you don't like her, but shut-up about it and move on.

However, I do agree with your comment about beating UAF I'd rather have to conference wins. Saturday night was a fun game to watch but we didn't gain any points. It sucks that it's coming down to the last week to see who'll will play. Denver, CC or UND.Looking forward to this weekend in Duluth. It would be awesome to sweep the weekend.

Let's kick some ass Seawolves!

Anonymous said...

At least we dont have to play Wisconsin :) I'm hoping we play Denver, due to our recent success against them

Anonymous said...

actually it will be denver or UND. CC has only one game left. Can't make up 5 points in one game you know.

Anonymous said...

my prediction so far: 11-16-5/7-14-5

Anonymous said...

how next season is scheduled will determine whether or not UAF actually scored against UAA this calender year(He-He-He-HA-He-He). What a bunch of chumps those Nanooks are.

9th Place in WCHA > 4th Place in CCHA

HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT WEEKEND.......BETTER THAN WHEN WE WON THE CUP BACK

also AWESOME crowd, why isnt the crowd like that every night? I think some of the blame is the guy in control of music/P.A.A. Play some upbeat music, get some SEAWOLVES chants going, something.....anything

Anonymous said...

and DD i actually didnt read the post game entries so:

9th Place in WCHA > 4th Place in CCHA

i thought i was going to be the first to say that

In Fairbanks the first goal(waved off) reminded me of that U.M. goal against Bryce in the Marucci.

Is Dean Talafuck really working at UAF?

Anonymous said...

does somebody know if that was in fact not the first time the cup has been broken off the base......I swear that's happened before.

Anonymous said...

The cup got broken last year. Maybe they should replace it ya think. Saturday night was great fan support. That's what your guys needed to see all season.

Let's keep the momentum goin.

Anonymous said...

http://www.goseawolves.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?ATCLID=3681963&SPSID=58450&SPID=6373&DB_OEM_ID=13400&PALBID=75416

my new profile pic

Anonymous said...

absolutely FREAKING love the flags

Anonymous said...

I agree about the music. That guy seems to think he has to play something EVERY single second! I don't know now many times we tried to start a chant, and 10 seconds later we were drowned out by his music. SO frustrating. And I know he hears us, as we can hear fans from the other side of the arena.

Fran Ulmer even started a "UAA" cheer and the same thing happened. He needs to be more in tune with the fans!!!

Anonymous said...

You can add the music to the list of about 50 things that need to change with the program to bring some passion and excitement into the Arena.

Anonymous said...

Better music needs to be played. The guy plays horrible top 40 shit. If we're gonna play music, it should be stuff like ACDC and Gun's and Roses. Shit that gets people pumped. If he played a song like "Thunder" by ACDC while the line-ups are announced, you know how amped everybody would be? That's what the Nooks do. Play music at the right time. Although we are a far superior program on the ice and have a much, much better play-by-play announcer, their arena side of the operation far exceeds anything that UAA does. I think our broadcast on TV is way better than theirs because we film at center ice. But please, play the right music.

Anonymous said...

Hey a 9th place finish is finally some statistical improvement for the coaching staff. Come on, with one of the worst pp and pk in the nation. Its been 4 years now can we judge your head coach yet or are we gonna settle for we out shot and out chanced them again. 10th 3 years in a row and now a distant 9th. Your head coach was way in over his head.

Anonymous said...

The last comment sounds like a disgruntled ex UAA coach. Support the team instead of always tearing it down!!

petgigs said...

To Anonymous from yesterday,
I know this is a hockey blog & I'm a hockey fan. But YES, we have the right to rag on palincreature.
Did you vote? Then SHUT-UP.
You are a coward=anonymous. Are you afraid to let us know who you are when you tell us not to waste time on palincreature? Then you have no right to tell ANYBODY what to do. It's NOT a waste of time to talk about your unqualified, scary, uninformed, corrupt, governor. Yes, men are now called to task for bad, corrupt & illegal behavior. Try Eliot Spitzer, John Edwards, Rod Blagojevich. Don't know who they all are? Don't know who any of them are? Then who is stupid, uninformed, & a waste of time? Why you are! And who's wasting time? You are, you idiot, uninformed, sexist, thick-headed loser. And don't try & tell me you do know who these men are because I know you don't--anonymous, coward. I remember something about people living in glass houses should not throw stones.
Go Seawolves!
Fran

Post a Comment