Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Game One Of WCHA Final Five: A Preview

I have mentally struggled today to gain a handle on writing this preview; for a number of reasons.  The first being that every regular reader here has pretty much got to be up to speed on tomorrow's opponent.  There really isn't much that I can offer in the way of new information.  Secondly, nobody really needs me to say that this game is a big deal.  

Also, what more needs to be said about the tactics and strategy that the Seawolves will utilize tomorrow?   Even less than full time readers here should know what's up with that.  And I'm not going to go out of my way to write something for the 400 extra people reading this who've suddenly become fascinated with the Seawolves.  And yeah, the audience here is double this week what it might otherwise be.  But, I'm writing for you guys that have been here all year.

So this will just be what it is.

College Hockey News has a feature on Chris Kamal.  Had I not seen, linked to and posted the vastly superior one from SI last week then I would have made an explicit entry regarding it.  As "White Beard" mentioned in the previous comment string.  Chris' story is a natural for media outlets.  Too bad CHN writer Joshua Berhow didn't read the SI piece though; if he had then a couple of errors might have been avoided.  Otherwise, it's good press of course for the program.

USCHO "writer" (loosely used term) Tyler Buckentine has for the first time this season strung together more than 3 sentences in a row regarding the Seawolves in this preview.  I can't imagine I'm wrong in assuming this dude is as much a Mankato fan as I am a Seawolves fan.  Not only did Mankato get an excessive amount of play in his column this year, note the complete exclusion of that recent and crucial series in the current entry describing UAA's run to this tournament.

I'm trying to not be too critical here.  But some cursory familiarity with this program at times other than when they've become some sort of "media darling" should be expected from these alleged "national" outlets.  Well, I suppose it shouldn't be a big surprise to me when we can't even get the local media guy to get behind the program.  That all said, here's a another submission from Kurt "on-the-spot" Haider who's knowledge of, perspective about and dedication to the program exceeds mine. 
Hi Donald-
Day-before-the-game-update:
After an upbeat, spirited practice this afternoon at the Ridder, the Seawolves are now in St. Paul at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, just a few blocks from the Xcel Energy Center.
 

After practice, it was a short bus ride from the UM campus, then the team dropped off their equipment at the Xcel and had a look around.  Lots of picture-taking from the benches.  I told some of them the story of the 2004 team...the upset of Wisconsin in the first round, then knocking off Colorado College in the Thursday play-in game.
 

Curtis Glencross, Chris King, Chris Fournier and the gang.  Told them about the Glencross goal against Duluth that pretty much sealed the deal for his departure to the pros. (Remember?  Deep slot, turn-around clapper that went top-shelf and left the crowd with dropped jaws!  At least I think I remember it happening that way...?!)
 

The crowd here in St. Paul kinda adopted the Seawolves...and it was fun.  Hope they do again this time.
 

Anyway, good to be here.  Running into familiar people already as this is "tournament central".  Big game tomorrow...boys are narrowing the focus, and I have a good feeling about this.  We are playing so well as a team.
 

They'll get 45 minutes of pre-game ice at noon (MN time) tomorrow...gametime 7:07pm. (4:07pm AK)
That's it for now-
Kurt
Kurt's memory of Glencross' jaw dropping ripper from the high slot is also mine.  I'm dead curious to hear/see the exact mix of the crowd tomorrow in terms of adopting our boys.  I'm quite sure though that it will be sufficient to keep them energized.  Maybe we'll even hear a U-A-A, U-A-A, U-A-A chant or two eh?  Should be exciting.  My deep appreciation to Kurt for the submission.  I say he'd be the perfect addition to the blog and that we should draft him to become a regular here.

In closing today, I am managing to keep my keel even as best as possible here.  I'm dying to write some flowery inspired piece about being a fan of this program and how this group of players is this and that to me and all of the other dedicated UAA fans.  I'm tempering such a thing though in quiet hopeful expectation that it will be more appropriate next week.

So give em hell guys.  Play with the maturity and confidence we've already seen.  Give it up for the guy next to you and stay focused.  Support each other and be the "TEAM" that you have become and I have every reason to expect to see you playing UND on Friday night.

Go Seawolves!!!

19 comments:

Ogie said...

I hope a few Seawolf fans will travel, but I get the feeling this team really feeds off each other for support. GO WOLVES I hope they read this blog and know that all their fans are standing right behind them.

Anonymous said...

Worry not. UAA Fan Blog is required reading for the Pups. -30-

Donald Dunlop said...

Ogie,
Fans standing behind this group of players certainly would mean not getting hit by many pucks. I get dibs on standing behind Parky and Portwood!

-30-
LOL at the "required" reading. Leave the hyperbole to me!!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Parky and Porty have eaten their share of rubber this year to be sure. But no hyperbole here, Donald. They read you daily. -30-

Will said...

Good luck guys. Play your game and have fun. We are all proud to what you have done so far and expect nothing less than what we have seen in the last five games. Go Wolves!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck Seawolves!!!! !

Anonymous said...

Here's Hoping we get Bailey Back, another scorer will help on Thursday!

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys as Baby Kyle would say!! This little guy has been
watching all your games from this past season and the movie
"Miracle" for the 20th time. I am amazed at his recall of you.
He watches you play and yells at me Gramma, Look Mitch
scored and Gramma Look there's Tommy and Craig and Luka.
You all know the routine by now ! He is the proudest little kid
I've ever seen and then he takes out his play whistle and says
What's your Name?
Who do you play for?
AGAIN!
I know it really means something else but to him it means
Go Win Again! We're so proud of you guys!!!
Let's go Seawolves!
-Wolfclan-

Anonymous said...

Does anybody have a copy of that Glencross goal? It would be appreciated if someone could post it someplace, that thing was a Rocket!

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know if the rest of the team got to fly
down to the final five?

Donald Dunlop said...

I don't know. I do know that the NCAA has some restrictions on the number of players a team can take on a road trip but perhaps (purely speculative) there are exceptions for post season tournaments???

Overall, it doesn't seem likely unless somehow they were able to pay for it out of pocket.

Donald Dunlop said...

I'll be at Boston's today for the game along with Richard Leary and whoever else he arranged to come. So anyone looking for some company to enjoy the game is invited to join us.

Go Seawolves!

Donald Dunlop said...

BBEF,
Countdown clock is correct. You're "off".

BBEF said...

It shows approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes right now. I think that's about 2 hours fast? Maybe a display issue?

Donald Dunlop said...

It shows 5 hours and 43 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Hey Donald be careful when you put your shoes on. I pooped in them.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say something to the guys that didn't make the
trip to the final five, if there are some still here in Anchorage!
We haven't forgotten about you! For what ever reason, Injured
or not Your contribution and sacrifice to our Seawolves didn't
go unnoticed!
Just wanted U to know!
Let's go Seawolves!
Again!
-wolfclan-

Anonymous said...

Over the last 3 years we have 6 wins vs 5 losses to the Black Bears of CC. Not bad eh?

Anonymous said...

Dusan and bails got to go. Pusty and picks got stuck here (unhappily) and kirch flew himself down

Post a Comment