Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thursday Potpourri: Captains, Banquet, Schedule & Tommy Grant

Four Captains have been named for the 2011-2012 season today by Coach Shyiak.  Seniors Brad Gorham, Jade Portwood and juniors Chris Crowell and Scott Warner were selected.  Here is the link to the announcement on the GoSeawolves website.  


Coach Shyiak is quoted saying,
“I think this leadership group should provide us the same qualities and direction we had with our program this year,”
Congratulations to all four of these respected players on their newly acquired leadership roles for next season.

_________________________



The annual End of Season Banquet is scheduled for Wednesday, April 13th at the Captain Cook Hotel in the "Fore Deck".  This announcement on the GoSeawolves website has all the details which are pretty evident by reading the above invitation.  RSVP's deadline is tomorrow (Friday April 1st).

_________________________


The 2011-2012 schedule was announced on Tuesday.  The Kendall Classic will feature St. Cloud and Clarkson as well as the Alaska Board of Regents favorite welfare recipient school up north.  The tournament that school hosts will feature UNO and Mercyhurst.  

Next seasons WCHA teams which UAA plays against 4 times are Duluth, Michigan Tech and Mankato while they play everyone else just twice.  This schedule is not yet available on the GoSeawolves website so here's a pic I took so I didn't have to type it all out.


_________________________


Last and certainly not least; you're probably all aware that Tommy Grant signed a contract with the NY Rangers on Monday.  On Friday the 26th he had initially signed an ATO with the Connecticut Whale.  I guess he impressed Rangers management in the first game enough to get a quick upgrade from an ATO to a two-way contract by assisting on both of the Whale's goals in that game.  

Here's the release from GoSeawolves website.  The reported terms of the deal that he signed is 650K per year when in the NHL and 50K year for the AHL.  He should be in action wearing #16 in the Whale's next game on Sunday the 3rd of April.

Congratulations to Tommy and good luck.  Here's hoping he tears it up and gets to see some action in "The Show" sooner rather than later.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Shyiak made a mistake not including Curtis Leinweber in the group of captains.

Anonymous said...

i believe this team could be very good next year..who do u think are the freshman this year that didn't play much but will play a lot next year?

Anonymous said...

Why do you think Shyiak made a mistake not naming Leinweber? The players vote on the Captains based on who they listen to in the room and who they think have the best leadership qualities. Just because you are a Senior doesn't automatically make you a Captain, I think that these are great picks.

Anonymous said...

My thinking Shyiak made a mistake has nothing to do with Curtis being a senior. And not knowing what goes on in the dressing room, I am going by what I've seen on the ice. I feel the leadership qualities he has shown there consistently warrants an A on his jersey.

BBEF said...

I just noticed that one of CC’s incoming recruits, Wamsganz, is from Anchorage.

Anonymous said...

BBEF yep. I'm friends with his dad. Scott is a good kid.

Donald Dunlop said...

I can think of quite a few players including Curtis who would probably make good captains and are deserving based on their contributions on the ice. That Shyiak and/or the team picked these four shouldn't be thought of in terms of a mistake.

I think Curtis is a great player and I'm excited as hell to see what he can do next year at forward (I hope, I hope, I hope) but being named captain isn't some sort of prize or recognition .... it's an honor certainly but a responsibility as well. Not being named a Captain doesn't take anything away from Curtis. I don't think "mistake" comes into it at all.

Those four guys will be good captains.

Anonymous said...

where is the report card at?

Donald Dunlop said...

I regret to admit I misunderstimated the time to completion of the "report card" ... completely. Bear with me ...

BBEF said...

The "report card" for the completion of the "report card" is F+

Post a Comment